Subject:   (no subject)
Author: Kilroy
Date: Feb 3 2004
I only recently picked up some modular arithmetic via college-level number
theory, so this was interesting to me as well. My problem was that (as mentioned
in the pages), if you pick 2 as your multiplier, the text becomes much more
difficult to decode, as every number represents two letters. And if you pick 13
(or 26) as your multiplier, the text is completely indecipherable.

Since I only just got number theory, this took me a while to figure out, but
eventually I did. Still, I can only imagine the frustration of a kid picking 2
or 13 as their factor and being totally unable to pass messages. This is
obviously an opportunity for exploration, but it makes the code seem less
interesting since it has simple, glaring, and irreconcilable errors.

yes  no

Discussion Help