Subject:   Math maturity
Author: moursund
Date: Aug 3 2004
I believe each teacher has some intuitive understanding of what it means for a
student to gain an increasing level of math maturity. Moreover, in any math
class or group of students one is teaching there will be considerable
differences in the math maturity of the various students.

I am particularly interested in what good teachers do that is specifically
designed to increase the math maturity of their students. I am also interested
in how Maht Tool-using teachers make use of Maht Tools as effective and
efficient ways to increase the math maturiyt of their students.

Finally, I have a relatively good understanding of the idea that students first
learn to read, and then they read to learn. Many students make this transition
by the beginning of the fourth grade. I am interested in teachers' insights into
the same idea, but for math. Students learn math. At what stage in their math
learning are they able to "math to learn?" What roles might Math Tools and/or
other aspects of computers make in hastening this transition from learning math
to mathing to learn (math and other subjects)?

yes  no

Discussion Help