Subject:   Cost vs. benefit of using technology
Author: Joel Duffin
Date: Aug 5 2004
A friend I know, Andy B (aka., the King), asks why should I sacrifice the 10+
minutes going to and from the computer lab when I can accomplish the same with
my graphing calculators in the classroom?

My other friend Jeff L responds, that is rhetorical. Instead, I will go out and
get as many computers as I can and bring them into the classroom.

This begs the larger question, from a teacher's perspective, what about a new
technology would make it worth using?

-Something different and better than what I'm already using
-Access to exotic resources (ones I don't already have)
-Multiple representations of mathematical models
-Provide multiple representations of mathematical models
-Observe mathematical models
-Vary mathematical models
-Create mathematical models
-Investigate concepts without number crunching
-Predict and check the effect of changing inputs on the outputs of
mathematical models
-Investigate and experience large / small numbers
-Communicate / collaborate with others

What makes it worth it to you?

yes  no

Discussion Help