Subject:   RE: Computer Tools at PreK2
Author: Teach Math
Date: Aug 26 2004
When I read work such as the VanHeile's Levels of Geometric Reasoning, it occurs
to me that we need to be able to have a picture (mental model) of all math
concepts. I think that is one of the many functions of using models in math
class and defines the real value of concrete manipulatives for students of all
ages. It is always fascinating to build a square number with the orange pattern
block squares. Children then understand the concept of square numbers when they
reach algebra (Some of their parents understand what a square number looks like
for the very first time!). It is the memory of the mental picutre that makes
sense of the term, "Square number" and enables student to compute with meaning
and understanding.

It is the teacher's resonsibility to make these connections using a range of
tools and teaching strategies. Would you agree?

yes  no

Discussion Help