Subject:   RE: Fractions, concept and calculations
Author: gerirose
Date: Oct 1 2004
I agree that lack of understanding fractions is one of the big holes in students
conceptual understanding.  And we use lots of pies.  However I'm not sure how
much the younger students are actually given fraction pieces (manipulatives) to
use when adding and subtracting.  I think they are given lots of diagrams.

We've also been adding to use of fraction pieces work with number lines.
Finding fractions on number lines including mixed numbers, adding and
subtracting on number lines.

yes  no

Discussion Help