Subject:   RE: Fractions, concept and calculations
Author: Teach Math
Date: Oct 1 2004
The Reys, Lindquist, et al text entitled Helping Children Learn Mathematics has
helpful information on the conceptual teaching of fractions. They suggest that
students need to know the three meanings of fractions: Part-Whole, Quotient
and Ratio and that we must use multiple models for teaching these concepts:
region (pizza), length, set and area. Much of the research suggests that we move
too quickly to engaging students in computing with fractions before they
understand the meanings of fractions.

There are also lesson plans and resources for teaching fractions at
http://www.illuminations.nctm.org.

yes  no

Discussion Help