Subject:   RE: exponents
Author: Mathman
Date: Oct 5 2004
On Oct  5 2004, gene wrote:
> David,

My experience has shown me that current students are much
> more attuned to working (as well as playing) in front of a monitor
> than we are. They can make use of a well-constructed software to go
> through material at their own pace--which is not to say one should
> simply put the book on the computer!

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.  I still think that they may appear to be
comfortable in front of a monitor, but I do not think that it is the best means
of viewing what can be viewed in a text.  Given that requirement they would
adapt as easily.  They generally react badly only to unusual, sudden changes.
"Do we HAVE to do it that way?"  I condone the use of the computer if it does
something different that then becomes an asset. if it does the same old same
old, then it is not an advantage, but perhaps a disadvantage.

With regard to the teacher's depserate search for additional material, there is
simply sometime not enough, and it is the approach in the classroom that must
then change. ...been there, done that, as I said to one class, "All you se is
x's and y's all over the page."  They all nodded in agreement.  So the approach
changed drastically to accommodate.

I have a website with some of my own design Quattro Pro worksheets available.
If there's an expressed interest, I'll send more information.  They produce
random sheets in arithmetic and algebra.  Again if there's an expressed interest
I will redo them all [some done already] in Excel or Open Office's Calc program.
Come to think of it, I didn't do one yet on just exponents. I'll get to it.  As
they say, "Whatever works."

P.S.  They are for printout, not for viewing on a monitor.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help