Subject:   RE: Expressions and Equatons - middle level
Author: ten frame lady
Date: Oct 15 2004
Hi Jeff,
It is not on-line yet, but you may want to call for a free sample of some
algebra games that can help.
Call CSL Associates, Inc. at their toll-free number 877-790-7915 and ask
for Jack. Tell him that Christine suggested he send a sample of the activity
"Operation: 'Variable'" from KidsKits Algebra. This activity is a great way for
kids to understand that a variable can stand for more than one value, depending
on the operation they are using to express the relationship between two or more
values. Once you get the sample, you  can also reach me directly at
650-843-0526 between 10:00 and 6:00 Pacific Time. I'd love to discuss this
issue more with you as it is such an important step in kids' algebra
competence.
Christine
math consultant

On Oct 14 2004, tackweed wrote:
> Query:  Does anyone have any suitable on-line resources about
> expressions and equations which could supplement the following?
> (i.e., a nice JavaScript that would display a statement and require
> the student to type in the expression or equation...)
> Background:

Within the week I will be starting a supplemental
> lesson to a CMP investigation on writing rules. The term 'rule' is
> also variously called a function, an equation or a formula.

We
> have been working with variables and have used variables primarily
> as words. The next lesson refers to single letter symbols as
> replacements for variables.  (I add that computer programming tends
> to co in the other direction by making variables more descriptive,
> e.g. 'NumberOfLeftHandedStudents')

At this point, I feel that it
> is necessary to start using a more conventional approach to writing
> expressions and variables. To do this we go through a discussion of
> variablea and their respective operations.

Next is a review of
> the possible ways the English language can rephrase the expressions
> and equations.  To this end I have compiled this translation
> handout.
> http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath/webwork/equations/express.html
> At this point expressions are defined as containing a variable and a
> constant but no equal sign; an equation contains an equal sign.
> Whole group practice is done using a generated list of problems like
> the one listed here:

1. 19 added to y
2. The number of boys less
> 12
3. An amount 16 more than g
4. The product of a and 10
5. 4
> more than z
6. A number z more than 17
7. b decreased by 1
8. s
> divided by 15

1. The number b added to 5 is  20
2. The number of
> flowers divided by 2 equals  34
4. 6 increased by d equals  8
5.
> 27 equals the number of boys from 4
6. 11 minus m equals  38
7. 7
> added to t equals  46
8. The number of door knobs plus 16 is  48
> Thanks

Jeff

yes  no

Discussion Help