Subject:   RE: Converting fractions to decimals and vice versa
Author: tackweed
Date: Jan 6 2005
On Jan  6 2005, Gurmohan wrote:
> I am looking for math sites or tools explaining fractions and
> decimals and how one kind is converted into other.

First of all I would suggest a search through the catalog listed at the top of
this message page. Like any extensive collection, sometimes what you are looking
for is under a different title.

I agree with mathman in that most of the common techniques used are relatively
straightforward and effective.

If you would like to see some things that I have used, here are some links you
might try and see if they can give you some ideas:

"> http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath/webwork/OL_Text/fr_dec_pct.htm< ;/a> gives
ome general overview information and illustrations.

http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath/pictures/frac2dec.gif< ;/a>  shows a solution
for fraction to decimal using a standard method.

http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath/webwork/javascript/fr2dec.html </a> is a
simple tool that does the conversion.

http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath/webwork/javascript/frac2dec.htm </a> will
generate a worksheet with examples of how to set up the problem. (this is still
in development so let me know if problems arise.)

http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath/webwork/javascript/decin2fr.html </a> This
program is a walk-thorough which can also be done using a calculator on how to
change decimal inches to 16ths (or some other selected denominator.)

http://www2.whidbey.net/ohmsmath/webwork/javascript/denom.html </a> allows
students to investigate whether a fraction becomes a terminating or repeating
decimal.

Jeff

yes  no

Discussion Help