Subject:   RE: Chapter 1 and 2 readings
Author: http://www.jprealestategroup.com/
Date: Oct 24 2005
I agree on most of your views. I am a substitute math teacher and think that
calculators can help a great deal, our students should be taught to embrace
technology.

[URL= http://www.jprealestategroup.com/ ] http://www.jprealestategroup.com/ [/URL]On
Oct 24 2005, macintosh wrote:
> After reading the material, I feel that there are a lot of valid
> ideas I would love to implement, if I Only Knew How!!  Where are the
> resources that give us the examples we need to bring this material
> into the classroom?  I would also like to find out if there are any
> workshops one can take to learn how to become the Facilitator in the
> classroom.

I know from my experience teaching high school that
> all we (as a department)do in IA and II is teach procedure.  I love
> how the author points out that our aversion to technology leads the
> students to only look at graphs as a way to check their work.  I
> feel that a lot of teachers think that once they show students how
> to work on the calaulator that they will never do the procedure
> again.  So I found it interesting that the article suggests that
> students still have a preference towards the algebraic solving
> method.

I am also curious about the way our Algebra I textbook
> introduces functions.  It is set up so that we do functions before
> graphing, does that make sense?  How do people feel about that?  How
> are we supposed to make the connections between tabular, graphical,
> and equational in terms of a function if we teach the function
> first?

Also, does anyone have a thought on the way teachers view
> calculators as the last resort over a process-based teaching style?
> Why are we so intent upon putting the calculators aside until the
> last minute?

yes  no

Discussion Help