Subject:   RE: SmartBoard
Author: CarolS
Date: Apr 10 2007
HI!
   I use a SmartBoard with our 5th grade math class. I actually used symmetry to
begin our unit on fractions.  It was amazing how well the students received the
data and used the concept.
I placed a square on the board and asked them to draw a line of symmetry and
then the associated fraction represented by the relationship of the number of
lines to the number of equal sections. We had great fun when we got to the
circle :)
Here are a few sites to check out!

http://www.schools.ash.org.au/stkierans-manly/Classes/Yr6/6B/Symmetry/2.htm

http://www.linkslearning.org/Kids/1_Math/2_Illustrated_Lessons/4_Line_Symmetry/index.html

Unfortunately, I have not found a source for one-stop-shopping on every math
concept to be used with a SmartBoard. So more often than not, I have to create
the lessons.
Good luck!

On Mar 29 2007, 3 wrote:
> On Mar 22 2007, VMP wrote:
> Hello! I am new at the smartboard. I
> used it in college but haven't
> found the best way to use it in my
> 6th grade math class yet. I am
> going to be doing symmetry and
> shapes when we come back from Easter
> break. Any website or
> activity suggestions for me to start off with?
> I'm sure after I
> use it once or twice, I'll be able to create my own
> activites but
> right now I'm  drawing a blank.
Thanks in advance.

One way we
> used the smartboard in my class was to explore the difference
> between perimeter and Area.  I created a word document with squares
> using the auto shapes and copied and pasted the squares.  We then
> used the smart board to create the same bumper car rides as
> suggested in the Connected Math book Covering and Surrounding
> Problem 1.1.  Although I gave the students the tiles to work with at
> their desks, this was a nice way to show their designs to the whole
> class for suggestions and discussion.  We even used the same
> document to discuss square numbers at a later date.  Good Luck.

yes  no

Discussion Help