Subject:   (no subject)
Author: Eric Goolish
Date: Feb 22 2004
Algebra Tiles: Multiplying Binomials

http://mathforum.org/mathtools/activity.html?co=a&tp=11.17.1&id=417&context=tool&new_id=3731

As a preservice teacher, many articles I read as an undergraduate encourage the
use of algebra tiles.  As a result, I found this tool to discover the 'hidden
secrets' behind algebra tiles.  Although I am unexperienced in their use, I
found this applet to be perfect.  While I was playing with the algebra tiles, I
imagined that this applet could be very effective for a student.  The applet
does great in providing lesson plans, activities, instructions, and a reference
to the standards.  The only question I had regarding this applet was if this is
any better than using real algebra tiles.  Besides the easy of using a computer,
I could not see a circumstance where this applet is better for students than
using the real tiles themselves.  Regardless, if computers were avaliable, then
I could see this as being a helpful tool.  Just some thoughts...

University of Illinois - Mathematics Secondary Education

Office of Mathematics, Science, and Technology Education -
http://www.mste.uiuc.edu/courses/ci336sp04/

yes  no
Post a new topic to the (missing item) discussion
Visit related discussions:
Algebra
Factoring

Discussion Help