Subject:   the idea of having the applet "clear things up"
Author: Suzanne
Date: Nov 21 2003
When you say that "everything was cleared up by the applet" can you describe
that idea a little more?

I'm actually comparing this idea to a problem that I've done with middle school
students that I called The Traffic Jam Activity. You can view the idea here:

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/frisbie/jam.handout.html

and the applet is here:

http://mathforum.org/alejandre/java/jam/Jam.html

Anyway, I found that if students tried this problem just using paper that they
had a difficult time keeping track of everything and remembering all of the
rules. With the applet, however, it constrained their activity and it also
counted for them and they could concentrate more on what they were trying to do
-- find the minimum number of moves.

I'm wondering if you had a similar experience with the Hispaniola applet or if
you think that doing it with paper/pencil would have the same result as working
with the applet?

yes  no
Post a new topic to the The Hispaniola Water Shortage tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help