Subject:   RE: geom construction software with compass -> arcs, not circles
Author: jdad
Date: Sep 23 2011
I figured out how to do this!

- Create points A, B (used for radius)
- Create point C (this is where your arc will be centered
- create another point D (this will give the direction of your arc from C)
- construct a circle of radius AB centered on C
- construct ray CD
- construct perpendicular of CD through D, points F and G are intersections with
the circle
- construct arc with center C between F and G

Create new tool with inputs A, B, C, and D and output arc CFG!

To use it you click on your new tool icon and then poits A and B to give radius.
Then click C to specify the arc center and D to give it a direction.  You can
slide D to make the arc bigger or smaller (from nothing to a semi-circle).
Then hide D (if you like) and you're done!

It works with GSP also.  I had to create a segment AB to feed distance to the
"construct circle by center and radius."  I also finally figured out the
selecting only the necessary inputs and outputs before "create new tool" gets
rid of all the intermediate cruft.  I don't remember seeing this in the
documentation I could find.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Tools in Geometry on Computer discussion
Visit related discussions:
Geometry
Computer
Tools