Subject:   RE: Functions as objects?
Author: Chuck
Date: Nov 30 2005
Hi, Susan

I have wanted to do something similar, but within the limitations of
JavaSketchpad (no functions!).  I accomplish this by making the function the
locus of points, which can be treated as an object.  I have several examples in
MathTools; for example, see the Area Function applet at
http://www.mph.net/coelsner/jsp_applets/area_function.htm
The Geometer's Sketchpad source for this is
http://www.mph.net/coelsner/jsp_applets/area_function.gsp and instructions for
making the JavaSketchpad version is at
http://www.mph.net/coelsner/jsp_applets/applets_how.htm #Area

Charles E. Oelsner

On Nov 29 2005, Susan wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a way to plot a function in Sketchpad,
> and then have it behave as an object.  For example, I can graph f(x)
> = sqrt (x), but I would like to make it an object so that I could
> move it freely.  I would also like to be able to reflect it over the
> x or y axis using the transformations menu.  I know that I can do
> this algebraically by writing and graphing a new function, but I was
> thinking about just being able to do it geometrically.  Any ideas?

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Tools in Algebra II on Sketchpad discussion
Visit related discussions:
Algebra II
Sketchpad
Tools