Subject:   RE: Shodor lessons
Author: Mathman
Date: Feb 6 2006
On Feb  5 2006, R Rands wrote:
I've read thru the thread - interesting points.  You might also
> like to try the Excel Graph Wizard, which is dead easy once you get
> the hang of it.  (I've shown it to grades 5 and 6 for graphing
> experimental data )

>Enter your x-y data set, highlight the lot,
> click on graph wizard,  Use the X-Y scattergraph option, then follow
> the instructions.

That's OK, but graphs onl sets of points, and will not graph functions, or allow
for changing parameters other than intercepts, which change with the applet.
For example: y=a*cos(x) {a: 1,6,2} instantly produces three graphs for a = 1, 3,
5 [the last parameter in {1,6,2} is the step, 6 the upper bound.] Two parameters
are allowed.

There are other great graphing programs aside from relatively expensive symbolic
algebra programs, such as "Graph" from www.padowan.dk , or more at the U.
Kentucky Math Archives.  Also, look perhaps into downloading the great free
OpenOffice suite for a suitable spreadsheet, and more.

Incidentally, if anyone is interested, I have done several spreadsheet
worksheets, one of which is the random setting of points on a grid for initial
exercises in naming points.  I can't send it here of course, but would outline
the setup procedure.

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Lesson Plans in Algebra on Computer discussion
Visit related discussions:
Algebra
Computer
Lesson Plans