Subject:   RE: Generating a graph curve from 2 known points and a middle reference point.
Author: Mathman
Date: Aug 9 2006
On Aug  9 2006, daedalus wrote:
>The last time I did formal maths was at 16
> with a crap teacher so please forgive me if there is an obvious way
> of doing this that I have missed.

You almost lost me there, but I'll forgive the slip ....this time.

Trying to translate your meaning...

You have two points at the extremes (0,40) and (50,-70).

The times for the points you need are 1 second apart.  Now the fun begins:

You MUST know the nature of the curve in order to find the points between.
Otherwise there is an infinite number of solutions.  If it is linear [a line]
then the interval between 40 and 70, being 40-(-70) will be 110.  That must
also be divided equally into 50 parts.  So each part will measure 110/50 =
2.2.

Pairs [points] will then be (0,40), (1,37.8), (2,35.6), (3,33.4), .... and so on
to (50, -70).

However, if not linear, you must say what the relation is that determines the
interval, for it will then not be equal intervals.

You can do this on a spreadsheet if you have trouble ...being a programmer, that
should not be difficult.

David.

yes  no
Visit related discussions: