Subject:   RE: Homework
Author: lindaparmenter
Date: Aug 10 2006
I agree with you in theory. However, it is difficult to compete with afterschool
activities.  Students have often indicated to me that they were unable to
complete a homework assignment because of a game or pactice. It seems some
parents are more interested in their child's extracurricular activities than
their academic performance.

On Aug 10 2006, Mathman wrote:
> On Aug  9 2006, Craig wrote:
> Why do you have your students do
> homework at all?

>Homework is a difficult issue (for lots of
>
> different reasons) for most teachers.

It should not be.  Why not
> put the issue, if it exists, back where it belongs, with the
> parents?  One must presume that the teacher is at first
> conscientious, and assigns homework for specific and good reason,
> and that the work assigned is both reasonable and sufficient for the
> particular course of study.

Beginning students practicing the
> piano do not quit when they have to practice their scales and
> arpeggios at home every day other than the day of the lesson.
> Students of martial arts don't sit around eating chips and gallons
> of pop the rest of the week if they want to progress at a reasonable
> pace, and they daily do the most boring of exercises.  All lead
> towards a specific goal, which has rewards big-time in their future
> endeavours.  Homework does the same.  Students can look and listen,
> and perhaps learn, and even perhaps understand.  However, in order
> to be able to use what they have learned with some skill in later
> years, they should practice, and put it into a wider perspective
> with numerous applications.  Homework allows the time for that.
> Without it, they have simply flash courses during which some appear
> to be temporarily successful, but have in fact learned nothing in
> the long run.

Parents should demand homework, not question it.
> It allows not only for understanding, but if diligent, allows for
> mastery and simple ease of use.  As in long distance running, the
> initial struggle is painful, but it soon becomes  much easier
> through force of habit.  When students are studying calculus, they
> should not have to think for a moment about the structure of the
> rational expressions they encounter and then deal with.  That must
> then be simply the bricks on which they build bigger ideas.

Just
> an opinion, but I firmly believe that homework, either assigned or
> voluntary is essential for imminent success.  Ideally, that is a
> habit that they will apply as adults in their daily work for similar
> results.

David.

yes  no
Visit related discussions: