Subject:   RE: Difficult algorithm design; I could use some suggestions
Author: Mathman
Date: Aug 28 2006
On Aug 27 2006, tarahmarie wrote:
>Problem # 1:  I can't seem to find a value for a
> side of this triangle with an area of 256 that I can check properly.

OK, another try here:

Draw an equilateral triangle of side "a".

An altitude [height] from the top meets the midpoint of the base, dividing the
triangle into two right triangles, each with 30,60,90 angles.  The sides of one
of those is in the ratio 2:1:sqrt(3), the first being the original side, the
second half the base, and the third the altitude.

Making one side "a", then the area is half the base times the height, or
[(a/2)]*[(sqrt3)/2*a]= [(sqrt3)/4]*a^2

Put this equal to A, the area, then rearrange, and eventually you wind up with a
= 2[A/sqrt(3)]

Setting A = 256 [or whatever value you might need], then a = 24.314742

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Trigonometry on Computer discussion
Visit related discussions:
Trigonometry
Computer

Discussion Help