Subject:   RE: Re: Homework
Author: Mathman
Date: Sep 20 2006
On Sep 20 2006, kscoastie wrote:
> You are absolutely right.  I always knew that homework was a problem
> area and I have even had "no homework" policies in the past.

>Over all it takes much less time
> to go over a couple "problem" problems than to correct an entire
> assignment or have the students find out they don't understand
> something when they thought they did.

How does one improve except by practice?

How does one learn without struggle and failure and the persistence to overcome
any difficulties and turn failure into success?

The students will certainly find out in later years what they really did or did
not understand as it then comes to them either relatively easy [through the past
practice needed for mastery] or with increasing difficulty as newer concepts
must be set aside to re-study the old.

In one university modern phyics course, the prof assigned a problem early in the
course.  Only a few of us attempted it.  I kept getting bogged down, and all he
would say was "Good so far, now keep trying."    I was one who did, and got it
after a couple of weeks of frustration and effort.  From that point on, the
course was much simplified as concepts learned through that effort came into
play.  Homework, properly assigned and properly administered is an asset, not a
detriment.  Of course most teen-aged students would rather skateboard, and I'd
rather eat pizza, but homework practiced diligently becomes easier as a term
progresses, and much easier as it is practiced conscientiously throughout the
school years.  It must not be onerous.  It must be well within presumed
capabilities [or they should be studying another simpler course instead], and it
should be expected.  As with any other discipline, you don't find the time, you
make the time.

David.

yes  no
Visit related discussions: