Subject:   RE: home work
Author: markovchaney
Date: Oct 4 2006
I don't find your reply very satisfactory. My post was not nit-picking. You
made a claim that one hears all the time and which I believe is not
well-founded in history. Just as we are told, for example, that certain math
programs fail to teach "the traditional algorithms." This is a false claim in
two ways: first, generally, in my experience, the programs do teach those
"traditional" or "standard" algorithms, along with others. But further, the
question of how it became determined that a particular algorithm is "standard"
or "traditional" is never interrogated.

Based on the things you have posted here, I'm not expected to convince you of
anything. I have not found much we would agree upone there. But I'll ask one set
of questions: what is it about how we present math to students that makes it so
unappealing, for the most part, that they see homework as drudgery and
punishment, and celebrate when the teacher doesn't assign any? What makes
TEACHERS clearly acknowledge that homework is in fact drudgery and punishment by
offering "homework passes" as rewards in class? Why can't we give assignments
that students look forward to doing? Is math a matter of "no pain, no gain,"
and, if so, is that a NECESSARY condition of learning the subject? Of most
subjects?

On Oct  4 2006, Mathman wrote:
> On Oct  4 2006, markovchaney wrote:
> Centuries? Really?

I was
> simply referring to the fact that those who wished to improve upon
> their education did so by doing more outside of the classroom [thus
> "homework"].  Whether or not that was assigned by teacher or self is
> immaterial and picayune. The argument remains that work done outside
> of the classroom is of benefit, and sometimes of great benefit.  It
> is not harmful.  Perhaps the burden of assignment should in fact be
> removed from the teacher, but it should also be true that the
> students rise or fall on their own merit without argument.  With the
> attitude of today's parents I wouldn't hold my breath on that.
> David.

yes  no
Visit related discussions:
Computer