Subject:   RE: Feedback requested for online Algebra book
Author: LFS
Date: Apr 8 2008
I don't think you are going to appreciate my feedback - sorry.

I was so offended by the title: "Effortless Algebra", I never got any further.

Does anyone really believe "Speak French like a Native in 48 Hours"? But nobody
sells that book in schools.

Maybe I should write books "Meditate your Way to an Olympic Gold Medal" or
"Learn Heart Transplanting in Your Own Home".

What a load of *&^%%$. This is what our kids are being told - that they can
learn mathematics (or indeed anything worthwhile) without any effort?  And then
when it turns out this is not true, it is the teachers fault. Or our kids feel
stupid. Or both.

Sorry to rant on - but this title so absolutely illustrates all of the problems
we as math teachers face -

(a) young people who think life requires no effort,

(b) corporations that are willing to say anything to sell their products and

(c) the widespread total disrespect for mathematics as a useful tool that
deserves effort, money, time, teacher and student encouragement, etc.

that I couldn't resist the urge to write this response.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Content in Algebra on Flash discussion
Visit related discussions:
Algebra
Flash

Discussion Help