Subject:   RE: Best & New way to teach Long Division
Author: Daniel44
Date: May 28 2014
In regards to division of polynomials, I learned long division in fourth or
fifth grade and polynomial division in tenth grade... so that's anywhere between
five and six years difference. Of course, this was also twelve and six years
ago... How is division being taught these days?

For someone whose entire family is engineers, this gap between division concepts
wasn't too much of an issue for me. However, I remember a student raising their
hand in the middle of Algebra III and exclaiming that they couldn't remember the
first step to long division. I suppose in that case, there's merit to the time
gap issue. Though, I can't imagine that five years of math classes would be
difficult to condense such that the two concepts can have some reasonable
temporal proximity.

Ulli makes some good points, too. Long division is a (mostly) simple algorithm
and if it can manage to teach all the concepts Ulli had mentioned I don't really
see why we would scrap it. It's far from a perfect method, but I can't think of
another way to express division in any greater detail to a learner.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Lesson Plans in Math 2 on Android discussion
Visit related discussions:
Math 2
Android
Lesson Plans