Subject:   RE: Best & New way to teach Long Division
Author: Howard58
Date: Jun 9 2014
The long division procedure still uses repeated subtraction, but in an efficient
way. My suggestion to everybody is that one should put in all the missing zeros
at each step, as the procedure then makes total sense.  Also it can then be
easily explained.

My question is: Why are we still teaching long division?

The only argument in its favour that I have come across is that it helps kids to
understand place value. But if you don't understand place value then you have
absolutely no chance of understanding long division.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Lesson Plans in Math 2 on Android discussion
Visit related discussions:
Math 2
Android
Lesson Plans