Subject:   RE: geom construction software with compass -> arcs, not circles
Author: maxmathforum
Date: Sep 23 2011
Hi jdad,

It's a good question you ask. I think the reason none of these programs have
such a feature is that it would be really hard to accurately tell the computer
exactly what arc you want without first defining a circle.

I'd suggest (in Sketchpad anyway), drawing the circle, then creating 2 points on
the circle (for endpoints of your arc) and constructing an arc by circle and
endpoints. Hide the rest of the circle and voila. Conveniently, if your arc was
too short, you can easily extend it.

To create an arc with the same radius for another point, you need to select a
segment of the right length (you may need to construct that segment to select
it. Then create a circle by center and radius, construct an arc on the circle,
and hide the circle.

I made a movie of myself doing that if you want to check it out!
http://screencast.com/t/DAczUKNohcK

Max

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Tools in Geometry on Computer discussion
Visit related discussions:
Geometry
Computer
Tools