Subject:   RE: teaching about scale
Author: Bethany
Date: Jun 16 2005
You are close to nailing it down, mathman.  The appearance of the graph is part
of the issue.  The wider issue though is getting the students to think about how
to label the scale and intervals before they actually begin to draw the
graph.

On Jun 15 2005, Mathman wrote:
> On Jun 15 2005, Alan Cooper wrote:
> but still the topic might be
> > addressed with something similar to my Shift&Scale applet
(see
> > http://www.langara.bc.ca/~acooper/mathlets/Shift&Scale/index.htm )
> Nice!

I think the concern is appearance of the graph on the page
> due to the range of calculated values?  E.G.  It would look awkward
> to have the scale go from 0 to 10,000 and have the points way over
> on the right in a small group, making the "visualisation", which is
> the purpose of a graph, uninformative?  So the query is on how to
> make the necessary scaling to create a better point of view.  Or
> perhaps I'm reading it wrong.

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Tools in Math 7 discussion
Visit related discussions:
Math 7
Tools

Discussion Help