Subject:   RE: Demise of Green Globs
Author: ihor
Date: Jul 26 2005
David,

>Could you point
> to the site for Green Globs if still available please?  I'm curious
> as to the intent.  The shooting balls could have reference to normal
> point-slope, or possibly regression line if pursued.

It's available from Sunburst - see

http://store.sunburst.com/readerschoice.aspx

Also there is very thorough analysis of the program at

http://www.fccps.k12.va.us/gm/faculty/backofen/portfolio/math-expl-gg.htm

> [**]  A fly in the ointment: We should be very cautious about what
> amuses us who have gone through a system that did not serve us too
> badly, and whether or not amusement is equivalent to the gain of
> insight into some particular process in mathematics.

Don't let the cute title lead you astray. The full title is Green Globs and
Graphing Equations which means it includes a tool component. This is one of the
best math software programs  of its kind ever written. Sharon Dugdale and her
team that developed it in the early 80s at UCDavis thought very carefully about
how to craft it.

...  Is it not better to
> establish and then serve an initial need?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Using software does not say anything
about the value of other approaches (including paper and pencil). Choosing the
right tool for the job is always an important consideration (otherwise you
wouldnt participating in this technology tool forum.)

But also it is important to choose the right context for the right job. I wrote
a story about Guillermo - an 8th grade student - which demonstrates how a
particular context made all the difference. See

http://mathforum.org/te/exchange/story/ihor/greenglobs.html

-Ihor

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Tools discussion

Discussion Help