Subject:   RE: Picewise functions on TI interactive
Author: EuripidesPants
Date: Nov 8 2006
On Nov  7 2006, Susan wrote:
> I used to know how to do this, but now it's driving me crazy again.
> Can anyone explain what the third parameter does?  Both example have
> 0 as the third parameter.  I've seen other things used for the third
> parameter, but it is not explained!  Help!

Define this function
> as:
g(x) := when(x<-pi, 4*sin(x), 0) + when(x>=-pi and x<0, 2x+6,
> 0) + when(x>=0, 6-.1x^2, 0) + when(x>6, undef, 0)

Susan, it appears the third parameter is an 'else' condition.  See
http://www.scholennetwerk.be/ig/TII/PDF/10%20Programming.pdf for some indication
of this.

So
  g(x):= when(x<0, -x, 0) + when(x>=0, x, 0)
is the same as
  g(x):= when(x<0, -x, x)
and it is a graph of the absolute value function.

The third parameter doesn't come into play if you explicitly define the function
for each condition on x.

Hope this helped!
-Carl

yes  no
Post a new topic to the All Tools on TI Calculator discussion
Visit related discussions:
Texas Instruments
Tools

Discussion Help