GRADE 9-12 / Age 14+The Five Challenges
1. I mistakenly divided a number by 5 when I should have multiplied it by 5. Find my percent of error.
2. If a is 50% larger than c and b is 25% larger than c, then a is what percent larger than b?
3. A student has scored 84, 78, and 86 on 100-point examinations. How many points does he or she need to score on the 200-point final examination to get an average of 90%, which is an A, in the course?
4. If the chances of rain are 40% and 20% for the two days of a weekend, what is the chance that it will rain on at least one of the two days?
5. Mr. Salas receives a 10% raise every year. His salary after four such raises has gone up by what percent?
Be sure to use your MathWorld Interactive six problem-solving steps. Have fun!
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.