Using Technology in the Mathematics Classroom
A Workshop for Mathematics Teacher Leaders
Saturday, Feb 4, 2006
8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Cynthia Lanius, Facilitator
||Welcome, Introductions, and Overview of the Day
||Introduction to Technology Problems of the Week
What is a Technology PoW?
Let's Try Some
Types of Triangles
||Submitting Miranda and the Rookie
1. Do the math
3. Adding a class
||Discussion - Using Technology to Support Problem Solving
Let's start with one teacher's experience
1. What are the challenges?
2. What are the benefits?
3. How does technology enhance?
4. How does technology complicate?
||Introduction to Math Tools
1. Log on
2. Searching and browsing for tools
3. Using the discussions
4. Rating tools
5. Find resources you can use the next month of class and save to My MathTools
||Revisit Math Tools - More on My MathTools, Search for spreadsheets, other tools, Save
||What tools support problem solving?
Consider Base Blocks Subtraction
||Problem: Lots of tools, Few curriculum materials, Teachers not prepared to use tools.
How you can help -
1. Have your students work the tPoWs
2. Have your students submit solutions and explanations
3. Write reviews of tPoWs describing how they worked
4. Send suggestions for problems to be used with tools
5. Apply to work with us as a Teacher Associate as we develop the new program