Agenda, Day 1
Agenda, Day 2
Agenda, Day 3
Agenda, Day 4
Travel Arrival Times
Institute 2008 Discussion
Institute 2008 Wiki
2008 Materials Development Institute
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Thomas Webb Richards Room, 3rd floor, at the Inn at Penn
|7:30 - 8:30
Continental breakfast will be available in our meeting room, including breakfast pastries, muffins, bagels and croissants with butter and fresh fruit preserves, sliced seasonal fruits, chilled fruit juices, freshly brewed coffee, decaffeinated coffee and herbal teas.
- send title and description of small groups formed yesterday afternoon to Suzanne
- send grade level information to Annie
||Math Tools Overview
- My MathTools: Profile, Friends, Saved Items
- Submissions: Resources, Write a Story
- working in Section Groups/individually
- takes notes and send electronically to Suzanne
||Facilitating math content
- Tool: Traffic Jam Applet
- In your group, offer your observations
- People in group speak up first who has the least developed idea
- What are the questions, answers, responses to provide?
- What do we mean by developing math content?
- What do we mean by facilitation of that?
||Small Groups/Individual Interviews
- Refer to/add/edit the wiki page: Focused Small Groups
- Wes Shumar will have short 20 minute interviews with individual participants
- Informal time when small groups can get together
- As you meet in small groups, are there questions you'd like to bring back to the whole group? Is there information to poll from the whole group?
||Afternoon snacks and beverages are available
||Participant math activity
||Reflection on the Day
- What was most useful for you today? What was least useful?
- What are you wondering about?
- What suggestions do you have for improvement?
||Meet in the Lobby
We'll walk over to the restaurant. It's pretty informal and we don't have a reservation.
||Some fun PoWs you might like to view:
Go to: Problems Library and type in any of these numbers to view the problems:
- 3531: Visiting Friends
- 3512: Designing Doorways for Rich and Riz
- 3224: Lee's Lawn Chair
- 3128: Women's Walkway
- 3152: Riz's Route
- 495: Sighting In A Rifle
- 1611: Walking Fast
- 3651: Dendrochronology
- 3608: A Happy New Year Wish
- 3548: Coast to Coast Driving Costs
- 3080: I'm a Groundhog?