Agenda Day 1
Agenda Day 2
Agenda Day 3
** requires password
PoWs: Current Problems
PoWs: Write Math
Online Workshops: Archive
Workshop 5 (1, 2, 3, 4)
2007 Materials Development Institute
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Korman, Room 241
|12:30 - 3:00
- Suzanne will be at the hotel at 12:30 to greet everyone who has arrived and walk with them to Korman 241.
- Richard will be at the hotel until all of the Institute participants have arrived to guide them to Korman 241.
- Annie will be downstairs in Korman to provide directions to Korman 241 (upstairs), if needed.
- Jason will be upstairs in Korman 241 to keep you company until we get started. Suzanne will join him with the first group of participants from the hotel.
- Box lunches will be available in Korman starting at 12:30.
||Afternoon snacks - gourmet cookies and beverages (coffee, tea, water, soda)
||Let's Do Math
- Form groups and play Plinko
- Discuss what's happening
- Discuss the mathematics behind Plinko
Introductions - use your "Plinko experience" to introduce yourself to the group:
What didn't you know that you thought you understood? What did you understand that you thought you didn't know?
How do you know when you've learned? What do you notice about yourself? How do you know when you know something?
How would you describe or characterize your participation in this learning experience? What challenged you?
||Project Background and Vision: Questions
||Processing the Preparatory Activities
||What We'll Do Tomorrow
- Discuss Key Elements of Math Forum Workshops
- Do more math
- Begin to unpack big ideas and move into more concrete ideas of student (pre-) conceptions, misconceptions, and difficulties...then start finding environments to explore concepts
||My Journal Entry
As we work through mathematical activities, struggle with understanding them, and/or help others gain understanding, please think about things like:
- What is the nature of activities that make it possible for teachers and students focus on the learning and understand what is happening?
- How do I learn? How do students learn?
- What is the nature of the learning of this student opposed to another student? What environment precipitates it?