High School Level Questions on Distance
from the Dr. Math Archives
High School Dr. Math Questions on Measurement
Below are some questions and answers from our archive of questions sent via e-mail by K12 students and teachers to Ask Dr. Math. You may also browse the entire high school level archive by category.
Back to High School Dr. Math Questions
- 3d Distance
- What's the easiest way to find the distance between a point and a line in three dimensions: When the line is defined by two points in space, and when the line is defined by angles from the cartesian axes?
- Defining Distance Mathematically
- What is wrong with D' = sqrt(X^2 - X'2)?
- Determining Distance Using Longitude and Latitude
- Use longitude and latitude to determine distance in rectangular
- Distance Between Two Lines: Vectors
- What is the shortest distance between 2 lines?
- Distance Between Two Points on the Earth
- My latitude and longitude are in the form 40.266934, -74.204930 respectively, with negatives for South and West. How do I calculate the distance between them?
- Distance Calculation
- If I have the co-ordinates of two places in Degrees Latitude and Longitude, how do I calculate the distance in nautical miles?
- Finding a Point Equidistant From Two Other Points
- Point A is (-5,-3), and point B is (-1,-5); to be equidistant from A
and B, what should the value of k be for the point (3,k)?
- Geometry Ladder Problem
- A figure shows a 12-foot ladder leaning across a 5-foot fence and touching a higher wall located 3ft behind the fence. You want to find the distance x from the base of the ladder to the bottom of the fence...
- Midpoint of a Straight Line Segment
- What is the midpoint of this: (-3,4) (5,-4)? Use the distance formula.
Back to Contents
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.