High School Level Questions on Statistical Measures
from the Dr. Math Archives
High School Dr. Math Questions on Measurement
Below are some questions and answers from our archive of questions sent via e-mail by K12 students and teachers to Ask Dr. Math. You may also browse the entire high school level archive by category.
Back to High School Dr. Math Questions
Measures of Center
- Median and Middle
- I would like to know how to find the median of two of the same numbers (2 and 2).
Measures of Spread
- IQ Tests and Standard Deviation
- On standard IQ tests, the mean is 100, with a standard deviation of 15. Find the percent of people whose IQ scores are greater than 115...
- Measures of Dispersion
- What are the different characteristics of: Range, Mean Absolute Deviation, Standard Deviation, Variance, Quantiles (percentile, decile, quartiles), covariance?
- Standard Deviation Formula
- What is the formula for calculating the standard deviation?
- Standard Deviation Questions
- Why does a standard deviation take the square root of the average of the sum of the squared differences between X and X mean instead of the average of the absolute value differences? What is the reasoning behind dividing by n vs. n-1 in the population versus sample standard deviations?
- Variance Question: 20 Golf Players
- How do you set up four teams such that the variance in the average
team handicap is no more than one or two?
Back to Contents
© 1994-2013 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.