Middle School Level Questions on Rate and Time
from the Dr. Math Archives
Middle School Dr. Math Questions on Measurement
Below are some questions and answers from our archive of questions sent via e-mail by K12 students and teachers to Ask Dr. Math. You may also browse the entire middle school level archive by category.
Back to Middle School Dr. Math Questions
Distance, Rate, and Time
- Average Speed on a Race Track Circuit
- Given the distance (4.260 km) and time (1.15.989 min/sec), how do you use the d/t=average speed formula?
- A Billion Seconds
- If I was born on 01/02/84, when will I have been alive for a billion
- Nancy ran a distance of 3.8km in 55 min. Calculate her speed in kilometers per hour and metres per second.
- Converting Time
- I have a clock that is "measured by 100", meaning 25=15 minutes, 50=30 minutes, etc. How do I convert this into "real time"?
- Define Warp in Lightyears
- On Voyager, the new Star Trek show, they are 75 years from home. Their top speed is Warp 9.75. Can you define "Warp" in lightyears?
- Defining Distance Mathematically
- What is wrong with D' = sqrt(X^2 - X'2)?
- Bernice is cycling around a track at 15 mph. Betty starts at the same time, but only goes 12 mph. How many minutes after they start will Bernice pass Betty if the track is 1/2 mile long?
- Distance, Rate and Time
- Ian travelled by train at 80km/h and then by car at 90 km/h. It took him 3 hours to travel the total distance of 265km. How far did he travel during each phase of his journey, and how long did each phase take?
- Distance, Rate, and Time Problems
- Liza and Tamar leave the same camp and run in opposite directions. Liza runs 2m/s and Tamar runs 3m/s. How far apart are they after 1 hour?
- Earth's Rotational Speed
- Should the earth's rotational speed be referred to in revolutions per... or in miles per hour?
- How Fast is a Knot?
- Ships travel in knots (which is a speed). How fast is a knot?
- Minimum Distance
- Inside a rectangular room a spider is at a point on the middle of one of the end walls and a fly is on the opposite wall. What is the shortest distance the spider must crawl to reach the fly?
- Nanoseconds in a Year
- How many nanoseconds are there in one year?
- Speed, Distance, and Time
- If you drive one mile in 45 seconds, how fast are you driving?
- Statute Miles and Nautical Miles
- What's the difference between statute miles and nautical miles, and why do they use statute miles for space shuttle launches?
- Train and Tunnel
- A train passes completely through a tunnel in 5 minutes. A second train, twice as long, passes through the tunnel in 6 minutes...
- Train Speed, Wind, and Smoke
- An electric train is climbing a hill at 45 kph...
- Where would the Two Trains Meet?
- If a train left Baltimore at 6:00 pm and travels at 19 m.p.h. and another train left Philadelphia travelling at 85 mph in the opposite direction, where would they meet?
- Solving for Time
- You are traveling 55 mph over a bridge that is 4260 ft. long. How long does it take to cross the bridge?
- What is the Speed of the Truck?
- A storm is 50 miles offshore and its path is perpendicular to a straight shoreline. It is approaching the shore at a rate of 4mph....
- Time, Speed, Distance, and Unit Conversion
- If a car moves at 44 mph for 50 minutes, how many kilometers does it travel?
Back to Contents
© 1994-2014 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.