Middle School Level Questions on Units and Conversions
from the Dr. Math Archives
Middle School Dr. Math Questions on Measurement
Below are some questions and answers from our archive of questions sent via e-mail by K12 students and teachers to Ask Dr. Math. You may also browse the entire middle school level archive by category.
Back to Middle School Dr. Math Questions
Units of Measure and Conversions
- Abbreviation for Pound
- I was wondering why the abbreviation of pound is lb.
- British Thermal Units
- What is the formula for converting BTU (British Thermal Units)?
- Converting Areas: Square Feet to Square Inches
- How many square inches are in ten square feet?
- Converting Celsius to Fahrenheit
- What is the Fahrenheit equivalent for 15 million degrees centigrade? (That's the temperature at the center of the sun.) What is the Fahrenheit equivalent of -150 degrees Celsius, and how does this differ from centigrade? To convert 500 degrees centigrade to Fahrenheit, what figures do I use?
- Converting English Stones into Pounds
- Could you please tell me what 13 stones (English weight measurement) equates to in pounds?
- Converting Fahrenheit to Celsius
- Is there a temperature that is the same on both the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales?
- Converting Meters to Feet
- How many feet are there in one meter? How many feet and inches is 1.84m?
- Converting Metric Units
- Do you have any suggestions about converting ml to liters etc.?
- Converting Square Yards to Square Feet
- 57.33 sq. yds. equals ___ sq. ft?
- Converting Time
- I have a clock that is "measured by 100", meaning 25=15 minutes, 50=30 minutes, etc. How do I convert this into "real time"?
- Converting Units of Measure
- Find the unit of measure for (3 pounds over 1 square inch) * (144 square inches over 1 square foot)....
- Finding Areas using Unit Conversions
- How do you calculate area, expressed in English units? For example: how do you calculate the area of a rectangle, where one side is, say, 2 miles, 3 furlongs, 4 yards, 2 feet and 5 inches...?
- Fractions and Measurement
- Are there names for very small fractions of an inch?
- Grams, Milliliters, Centimeters, Meters...
- Would you measure an egg in g or ml? How many cm are in a m? If it is 35 degrees C, what season is it? ...
- Inches and Feet in Decimal Form
- How do I convert fractions of inches and feet into a decimal expression of the length in feet?
- Linear Foot
- How much is a linear foot?
- Metric Conversion
- How many meters is 67 centimeters equal to?
- Metric Conversions
- How do I convert cubic yards to cubic meters?
- Metric Prefixes
- What are the metric prefixes for 10e4, 10e5, 10e7, 10e8 and the
corresponding neg. values?
- Origin of the Word 'Yard'
- Why do they call a yard, a yard? Where does this word originate?
- Setting Up Proportions and Unit Conversions
- If you can run 100 meters in 10 seconds, how long, in days, hours, and minutes, does it take you to run 12,800,000 meters?
- Teaching Fractions of an Inch
- Do you have any suggestions on how to best teach the "inch"?
- Time, Speed, Distance, and Unit Conversion
- If a car moves at 44 mph for 50 minutes, how many kilometers does it travel?
- Unit Conversions
- Dr. Math offers a good tip for most unit conversions.
- Unit Conversions - Metric System
- Convert: 3.25 cm to millimeters, 9.24 km to meters, 1,000 mi to kilometers.
- What is the Difference between a Metric and a Standard Ton?
- A student has a question about units of weight.
Back to Contents
© 1994-2015 Drexel University. All rights reserved.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.