An Explorer lesson. Download a Claris Works or Acrobat file from the Explorer site. Also information on grades, availability, description, curriculum, process skills, author, and publisher.
Author: Joanne Caniglia
Grade Level: 5
Description: This activity will combine language arts with metric measurement concepts such as perimeter, surface area, and volume.
Objective: To utilize the students' knowledge on both writing riddles and on perimeter, surface area, and volume.
Resources: Centimeter rule, meter stick, 10 index cards, paper, and pencil.
Activities and Procedures:
- The student will stay in his or her chair and find 10 objects in the classroom. They will then collect the following information about each object: length, width, height, and perimeter, surface area, and volume.
- On each index card, students will write a riddle for each of the objects using the information provided.
- Students should be exposed to riddles before this event.
- Students are also to create a set of solutions.
- After proofreading the students' riddles, students will rewrite the riddles on an index card. An exchange of index cards is not only interesting but fun.
Evaluations: Students will be evaluated on both their writing and math skills. The clarity and cogency of clues are major criteria.
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help