Japanese Lesson Study Summary
Monday, July 15, 2002
What we did:
- Made our working agenda
- We worked individually for 30 minutes writing our own "vision" of the whole lesson
- We shared in groups of 2-3 and tried to consolidate.
- We reported out to the whole group and made brief comments on similarities and differences.
- Melanie, Kathy, and Kris will write a final draft of the lesson, which Kathy will present tomorrow.
Highlights of Discussion:
- "Notes from the field" - when we return to our schools we should post comments on the website using this feature - Notes from the field - whenever we do something related to/influenced by our work at PCMI
- David had a good idea to simplify to 2 rates in the problem in order to lead to diminishing circles.
- After a LONG period of whole group discussion, our group found it very beneficial to break into smaller groups to share ideas and then have smaller group write up the lesson.
Back to Journal Index
PCMI@MathForum Home || IAS/PCMI Home
© 2001 - 2013 Park City Mathematics Institute
IAS/Park City Mathematics Institute is an outreach program of the School of Mathematics
at the Institute for Advanced Study, Einstein Drive, Princeton, NJ 08540
Send questions or comments to: Suzanne Alejandre and Jim King
With program support provided by Math for America
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 0314808.
Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed
in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect
the views of the National Science Foundation.