Math Coordinators Summary
Monday, July 1, 2002
Today we discussed the following topics
- PCMI Goals
- Strengthen math content knowledge
- Reflection on Practice
- Become a resource person for colleagues within the profession.
- Professional Development Outreach Models
- Seattle Site with their weeklong Northwest Mathematics Interaction (NWMI) http://math.washington.edu/~king/nwmi.html
- Michigan - Roger
- PCMI Vision - Herb Clemens
- University sites
- State/school district
- Developing sites with a university connection
- Woodrow Willson/T3 format for PD.
- Tension between Content and high stake testing, standards, and math underpinnings
- Deep understanding of what we teach.
- How to build a community of math learners
- How to get teachers to PD opportunities
- After school
- During school
- Compensate? Vs Charge
- Building based decision making vs. Central control
- Professional Development Models
- Study Groups
- Lesson Study
- Japanese lesson study seminar
- The Teaching Gap - chapters 5 - 6, and review Chapter 9.
Back to Journal Index
PCMI@MathForum Home || IAS/PCMI Home
© 2001 - 2014 Park City Mathematics Institute
IAS/Park City Mathematics Institute is an outreach program of the Institute for Advanced Study, 1 Einstein Drive, Princeton, NJ 08540
Send questions or comments to: Suzanne Alejandre and Jim King
With program support provided by Math for America
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grant No. 0314808 and Grant No. ESI-0554309. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.