PoW Membership: Resources & Strategies for Effective Implementation
After completing this course, you as a current subscriber of the Problems of the Week (PoWs) will be familiar with all the resources associated with your PoW membership access. You will be able to make an informed decision about how to start implementing PoWs with your students, and you'll have an idea of further steps to try when you are ready.
download syllabus [pdf]
||This moderated course will be led by Suzanne Alejandre, Director of Professional Development. It will take place online using Blackboard Learn and the Problems of the Week. The only technical requirements are a web browser and Internet access.|
Who: Current subscribers of the Problems of the Week who want to become familiar with all of the features and resources associated with their PoW membership access. Non-members may purchase the necessary access at a discounted rate.
January 8 - February 18, 2015
Registration closes at 5 pm EDT on Thursday, January 8, 2015. There will be approximately 15 hours of seat-work involved in this course.
Credit: All individuals who successfully complete the course will receive a certificate indicating that they have completed 15 hours of professional development. This is equivalent to 1.5 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
$149 - for current members at Full Membership level or higher
$174 - for non-members (course plus Full Membership access during the six week course)
$298 - for non-members (course plus Full Membership access through December, 2015)
FAQ: View this page for responses to questions people have asked us. Read what teachers are saying who have recently completed this course. Watch our VIDEO.
In this course you will:
- learn more about the resources provided with each of the Math Forum's Problems of the Week (PoWs) and how they can help you enhance student competence and confidence in problem solving and communication.
- develop concepts of mathematical problem solving and communication, both your own and your students'.
- enhance your understanding of the Common Core State Standards' Mathematical Practices and the role of PoWs in addressing them.
- learn more about assessing student work and providing effective feedback.
- expand your toolkit of strategies for managing problem solving in your classroom.
- participate in an ongoing community of teachers who are using PoWs with their students.
Course activities will include:
- readings from the Common Core State Standards (all available online)
- solving PoWs, submitting solutions online, and analyzing the math
- having some of your students solve PoWs (at a level appropriate for them) and have some students submit solutions online
- sharing ideas and reflections with coursemates through online journals and discussions
Please email me with any questions.
Suzanne Alejandre, Director of Professional Development