The Problems of the Week Have Had a Makeover!
Hello, PoW subscribers—
The Math Forum @ Drexel has launched our new Problems of the Week software. Our technical staff has developed a system which will be more user-friendly and offer much-improved performance in terms of speed and reliability. We've listed some more features further down on this page.
Like any major change, this upgrade will require some orientation. We offer a revised Teacher's Guide [PDF document], and brief video orientations for individual teachers and for class-level members. You can also sign up for our professional development courses, in particular PoW Class Membership: Resources & Strategies for Effective Implementation, designed to introduce you to all of the new features and resources associated with your PoW class membership access. Starting dates are August 20, September 17 and October 8.
Here are some quick ideas to get you started (see the PDF Teacher's Guide for complete instructions and screen shots):
- Current members: your current login and password should work fine with the new system. The login link is at the top of the left sidebar. If you can't remember your password, check the "Password Help" link below the box on the login page.
- Want to use the Library or Write Math? Those should work just as they did in the old system.
- Want to register your students? Class-level teacher members, click "My PoW Work" in the left sidebar, and look for "My Accounts".
- Want to assign a problem to your students? Class-level teacher members, click the Assign link under any problem title to assign it to one or more of your classes.
- Want to mentor your own students? Class-level teacher members, click "My PoW Work" in the left sidebar, then look under "Mentor My Students" for the option to assign your students' work directly to yourself. Once they submit, look for their work in your "Work To Do" section.
We hope you'll have time to explore the new system before the new school year gets under way. Here are some of the major highlights for users:
For the student:
- My PoWs page—provides direct access to assignments, submissions, and mentor replies
- Login/Logout to accommodate multiple users on the same computer more easily
- Simplified submission process
- Ability to save a draft version ("I'll finish later.")
- New options for formatting text in solutions
- Improved display of mentor feedback
For the teacher:
- Direct assignment of problems to a class (Current or from the Library)
- My PoW Work page—summarizes the teacher's functions (improved version of Teacher Office)
- Enhanced student management and communication features
For the mentor (including Assess Your Own teachers):
- Score and compose a reply in the same window
- Option to hide scores from student's view
- Preview a reply before sending
We're confident that these improvements will greatly enhance your PoW experience. We'll rely on your feedback as our tech staff continues to make improvements and add features.
Thanks for your support.
The staff of The Math Forum @ Drexel