Goals and Objectives: To challenge elementary students with non-routine problems and to encourage them to verbalize their solutions. In conjunction with a companion project, (see below), students registered for the Elementary Problem of the Week will have their submissions answered by "Visiting Math Mentors" and will also have the opportunity to assume the role of mentor.
Each week we will feature a biography and photo of the current "Visiting Math Mentors."
Grade Level: 3rd through 6th grade
Contact Person:Ruth Carver
Fort Washington , PA 19034
You may complete an Online Registration Form.
You can also see the
Current and Past Problems
Timeline and Deadlines:
- The project began its second year on the week of September 16, 1996 and will run for 36 uninterrupted weeks, ending with the last problem being posted for the week of May 19, 1996. I hope these dates help in your planning. Registration has begun and is ongoing throughout the project.
- Problems will be posted the Thurday night before i.e. the September 16-20th problem was posted the evening of September 12th so that students have the weekends to work on them. They will be posted at /ruth/elem.pow.problems.html. (If you do not have reliable access to the Web let me know and I'll send you the problem via e-mail).
- The deadline for responses will be the ending date for the problem, i.e. the September 16-20th problem was due by September 20th.
- Each student's response will be answered by a Visiting Math Mentor (see Companion Project) and the solution discussed.
- Students who have correctly answered the challenge will appear on our web site and the most creative solutions will be highlighted.
Visiting Math Mentors
Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help