Tessellating Fractal Image Project

by Kenneth Cole

Tessellation Tutorials || Suzanne's Math Lessons

The following message was received from Kenneth Cole, a teacher at Faubion Middle School in McKinney, Texas. It is a great way to combine the ideas of fractals and tessellations.

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:14:19 -0500
From: Kenneth Cole khcole@hotmail.com
To: lanius@cml.rice.edu
CC: salejan@mathforum.org
Subject: Fractal Project

Hello Cynthia and Suzanne,

My students after working through Cynthia Lanius' fractal lessons and Suzanne Alejandre's Tessellation lessons are creating tessellating fractals using a method which I developed using Fractint for Windows and a graphics editor such as Photoshop, Paintshop Pro, or MS Image Editor.

In the final phase of the project, the students create an image from a fractal, make it tessellate, shrink it, change it to a GIF or JPG file, and then use it for a background on a simple HTML page. Then the student posts the page on the Internet. You can view this work at the following URLs:

Create Your Own Fractal Project:
http://www.kencole.org/fctlproject1.html

My example lesson on How to Make a Seamless Fractal Background:
http://www.kencole.org/frctlbck.htm

A quiz over how to create a tessellating fractal image:
http://www.kencole.org/frctltes.htm

Some of the students' work:
http://www.kencole.org/tessellation1.html

This has been a fun project and I am somewhat surprised how quickly 12 and 13 year old students learn how to make graphics.

Thanks for your lessons!

Ken
khcole@hotmail.com
http://www.kencole.org

Thank you, Kenneth, for a super idea!

Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Search || Help

http://mathforum.org/
The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.The Math Forum is a research and educational enterprise of the Drexel University School of Education.
Send comments to: Suzanne Alejandre