From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002112708:14:46
Subject: Re: Re: Casio Calculator for kids; Rnd function

On 2002112620:47:06, Tony Smith wrote: >Can anyone tell me what the Rnd function on a Casio FX82TL does and >how it works? > I don't have that calculator but the rnd function on most calculators returns a random number such as .6823421 or something like that. Each time you use it, it should be a different. For example, suppose you wanted to select from a pool of 100 kids in an unbiased way. You could say, "I will use the rnd function and if the leading two digits are .00 then I will select kid 100. If the leading two digits are .68 then I will select kid numbered 68. You could repeat that process until all kids are selected. This method is an unbiased way to select. Lots of mathematics Monte Carlo models use random digits.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/