From: Maulfry <maulfry@childrens-mathematics.co.uk>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003080905:08:20
Subject: creative maths for all children!

Brilliant to hear of someone who is looking for an alternative to the
use of worksheets! I've been doing some research over the past
thirteen years, into children's own math - using their own informal
marks and own written methods. I work with a colleague and we're both
teachers, with a lot of experience teaching children 3 - 8 years. One
way of supporting children is when you are considering some math which
the children could write (or draw / represent) - is to use blank paper
dn suggest 'Put something down to show...' with the emphaisi on the
children's own thinking and their own meaning.

We have just had a book published which explores this whole area (for
all children, including those with learning difficulties):
Worthington, M. and Carruthers, E. (2003) Children's Mathematics:
making marks, making meaning. Thousand Oaks. CA. Sage Publishing.

I'm not trying to push oour book - but just letting you know that
therer are teachers out here who are also looking for more meaningful
and relevant approaches. Let me know if I can be of any more help.
Best wishes,
Maulfry

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question