From: JAMES ROBINS <jayr89@rogers.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007120515:10:47
Subject: INVERSE RELATIONSHIP

A student was asking for a "real-life" example of a mathematical
inverse relationship...which I interpret as mathematical knowledge
that may be used as a "tool" common to some everyday situations.
In other words, how can the 'concept' be related to a frequently
occurring everyday event that is useful. This question was asked and
answered by Dr Math using Functions as the student was working with
this topic. I found that to be an opaque image of the concept.

I would humbly suggest Currency Exchange:

Example.    Once the exchange rate is known between any two currencies
            it is simple to go back and forth between the two.

            1.00 USD = 110.565 JPY (Given)

            l.00 jpy =  1/110.565  (Inverse)

                     =   0.00904447 USD

Source: Website  http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi