Q&A #107

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Integers - teaching strategies

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Anna McKnight

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002030121:26:30
Subject: Using counters to subtract integers

Do you use counters to show subraction?? Every on line site seems to focus on using number lines - which is what I learned in school and am familiar with anyhow! Explanations of why it's ok to use the opposite operation are skimpy to non-existant... Our text uses red and yellow counters which were great when adding, but the use of positive negative pairs to subtract seems to have the kids bogged down. Do you have any suggestions on how to explain the logic and theory behind why this works? How to make user friendly diagrams or posters? Thanks for any and all ideas!!! Anna

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®