From: Jessie <jhall@cablenet-va.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004092720:38:14
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: guessing vs estimation

Barry,
Your comment shows you know very little about this subject and about
the business of estimation. For one thing, if I had an employee who
used this form of estimation I would fire him! Estimations are done on
averages based on multiple observations of different data, which
envolves "Rounding" not this so called form of "estimation". If this
form of "estimation" is used, you will either be way over or way under
depending on if you are adding or subtracting. In my opinion this only
makes it harder for a child to learn "ACTUAL MATH" if a teacher tells
tham that they can "estimate" (AKA Educated Guess). In this form of
estimation any number as long as it is near the actual sum could be
right. I don't know about the rest of the parents but I would rather
my child learn to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using actual
mathmatical terms and rules instead of giving them 2 numbers and
telling them "guess" what the answer may be.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/