Q&A #1154

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Front End Estimation

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jessie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004092720:38:14
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Re: guessing vs estimation

Barry, Your comment shows you know very little about this subject and about the business of estimation. For one thing, if I had an employee who used this form of estimation I would fire him! Estimations are done on averages based on multiple observations of different data, which envolves "Rounding" not this so called form of "estimation". If this form of "estimation" is used, you will either be way over or way under depending on if you are adding or subtracting. In my opinion this only makes it harder for a child to learn "ACTUAL MATH" if a teacher tells tham that they can "estimate" (AKA Educated Guess). In this form of estimation any number as long as it is near the actual sum could be right. I don't know about the rest of the parents but I would rather my child learn to add, subtract, multiply, and divide using actual mathmatical terms and rules instead of giving them 2 numbers and telling them "guess" what the answer may be.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®