From: Doug

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005110118:25:59
Subject: Re: Re: estimation strategies

I do front end estimation in my head, and have for a long time. But it was never taught to me in school, estimation was. I found this site while trying to help my 8 year old with homework, but since he did not bring the book home i can't help since it seems knowone really knows how. In his problem it has 554+417. In this case I would round to 980 but is this what they want or do they want 900, 950 or 1,000? The people who make this stuff up need to realise that parents did'nt have this in school and can't readily help their children with it. I am very good at math, as a Carpenter I do alot of math in my head and it needs to be right. I'm proud of that fact, and thats why when i have a problem with something like this it is very annoying.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/