From: TeeAnna Schimmel

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003121116:50:40
Subject: Re: Give me a break!

I totally agree with you. As a parent who tries to be involved in my children's work this front-end estimation is the worst thing I have ever saw. The teacher told my son to add the first row of numbers and put zeros but a majority of the time he was not even close. Example Question: If you buy 3 items that cost $5.43 each, will $15.00 be enough to buy all 3 items? My son wrote yes because he went by what the teacher said but clearly in a "real life" situation he would not have enough. Thankfully my son understands that it is not enough but this is ridiculous. Where are they planning on sending these children to shop. Here was another question: If you buy 2 items for $6.29 and 1 item for $3.55 will $15.00 be enough? Again the teacher said the answer was yes because they are just adding the front numbers to make the determination. Give me a break also this stuff has no purpose and does nothing to teach children real life situations.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/