From: TeeAnna Schimmel <schimmell@adelphia.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003121115:50:40
Subject: Re: Give me a break!

I totally agree with you. As a parent who tries to be involved in my
children's work this front-end estimation is the worst thing I have
ever saw. The teacher told my son to add the first row of numbers and
put zeros but a majority of the time he was not even close. Example
Question: If you buy 3 items that cost $5.43 each, will $15.00 be
enough to buy all 3 items? My son wrote yes because he went by what
the teacher said but clearly in a "real life" situation he would not
have enough. Thankfully my son understands that it is not enough but
this is ridiculous. Where are they planning on sending these children
to shop. Here was another question: If you buy 2 items for $6.29 and 1
item for $3.55 will $15.00 be enough? Again the teacher said the
answer was yes because they are just adding the front numbers to make
the determination. Give me a break also this stuff has no purpose and
does nothing to teach children real life situations.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/